Lead Instructor, Center for International Education
Maryville College is seeking applicants for the position of Lead Instructor, Center for International Education. This is a full-time position.
*Required – Enter Requisition #1435
Job Status: Exempt, E-1
Job Summary: This is a full-time, 12-month position teaching English skills to non-native speakers, the primary emphasis being to prepare them to enter academic institutions where English is the spoken language or help them improve their general communications skills in English. Must demonstrate native-like fluency. Instructor assists the Assistant Director of ESL in planning and administering student assessment, placement and orientation, and provides classroom instruction and cultural activities to ensure that all international students have the best opportunity at completing their academic and career goals.
• Teaching ESL classes (average 20 hours per week, but up to 25 hours/week), and some administration within the department’s academic area, including but not limited to the year-round intensive programs (1 session every 5 weeks, July special session, and January 3-week session) and a variety of shorter ESL and special program courses
• Curriculum development
o Plans curricula and aids with ESL program design.
o Coordinates with other teachers of ESL to develop materials and curricula, grading and/or evaluation.
o Coordinates with administration on developing and improving program quality.
o Attends regular teacher trainings and meetings.
• Assists ESL teachers with the collection and documentation of lesson plans, classroom materials, and student work.
• Collects and records students’ grades, and consults with students as needed regarding school progress. Responsibilities include addressing complaints and resolving problems with students.
• Assists administration of ESL in orienting, testing, and evaluating students.
• Assists administration with the development and maintenance of ESL recruiting tools.
• Supports CIE staff and students with the use of technology for instructional or recruiting purposes.
• Attends meetings of Center for International Education (CIE) staff.
• Attends extracurricular functions of CIE when available.
• Attendance and participation at committee, staff, informational and professional meetings.
• Participates in student assessment projects, program events, maintains office hours, meets with students and colleagues as needed.
• Carries out additional responsibilities in cultural activities, assessment, and other areas as assigned.
• Ability to work with internationals in the U.S.
• Exhibits tolerance, understanding, and flexibility in intercultural situations.
• Must be able to drive a van.
Requirements: Master's degree (M. A.) in ESL/EFL and minimum of two years experience at an IEP; or TESL training and four to ten years of equivalent experience.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org; complete the online employment application at www.maryvillecollege.edu, and include job requisition number 1435 on the application. Maryville College is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.