For students who would like to have an experience abroad but do not wish to enroll in a course of study there are many opportunities.

Working or volunteering overseas is a great way to broaden your horizons and become a part of the global community of the business and information world. You can benefit from the cultural experience and from learning another language as well as from the work experience.

So, why should I intern, work or volunteer abroad?

  • Earn money and travel
  • Gain valuable experience, both personally and professionally
  • Develop language and communication skills
  • Accept the challenge of familiar work in an unfamiliar environment

What kind of work can I do?

There are many types of jobs abroad available, but some are easier to find and arrange than others. For example:

  • Teaching English abroad
  • Au pair jobs
  • International development
  • Seasonal, short-term or Summer jobs
  • Unskilled or manual labor
  • Professional opportunities

Where can I work?

You can work in most countries, but each country has its own laws and requirements about foreign citizens working in their country. Remember to check visa requirements with the host country consulate or embassy. You must obtain the proper documents that allow you to legally work in the country.

Here are a few of the opportunities available through various programs:

  • BUNAC currently offers U.S. students and young people work/travel programs to Britain, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
  • The International Cooperative Education (ICE) program allows students to immerse themselves in foreign culture by placing them in summer jobs in any of the following countries: Belgium, France, Switzerland, Germany, Finland, Austria, Luxembourg, Ukraine, Hong Kong, and Singapore.
  • Through the Council for International Educational Exchange (CIEE), you may spend up to six months working in Britain, Ireland, France, Germany, New Zealand, Costa Rica, or Jamaica. Language ability (equivalent of two years) is required for work in France, Germany and Costa Rica.
  • Through the JET program in Japan, you can teach English as a foreign language to Japanese students. For more information on JET, contact Kelly Franklin, Director of International Services.
  • The IAESTE Technical Internship Program places university students into paid technical internships in approximately 40 of our 80+ member-country network. Internships are open to college sophomores, juniors, seniors, and grad students pursuing a degree in science, engineering, mathematics, architecture, computer science, or other technical fields. Non-U.S. citizens are also encouraged to apply. The majority of internships are 8 - 12 weeks during the summer, but there are also longer placements available for up to one year. No language skills are required, but they are preferred.
  • BorderLinks is a not-for-profit organization that conducts experiential travel seminars focusing on the issues of Mexican border communities.
  • Congress Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals. This is a federally funded scholarship exchange to Germany. It is a unique opportunity for both work and study in a foreign country. The program provides:
  • Two months of intensive German language training (no prior German required)
  • One semester at a German university or professional school
  • A five-month internship with a German company or organization
  • A unique insight into German life through placement with a German family
  • For more information, please visit:
  • AustraLearn ( offers internship programs for academic credit in Australia.
  • United Nations Headquarters Internship Programs
    Graduate students who are interested in doing an internship at the UN Headquarters in New York and are currently enrolled in a degree granting program in a graduate school are eligible to apply. The program is offered on a two-month basis three times a year.
  • Young Professionals Program (World Bank Group)
    Candidates must be under 32 years of age and possess a master's degree (or equivalent) in economics, finance, agronomy, education, civil engineering, public health, or environmental science. The program provides the opportunity for professional development through on-the-job experience and exposure to the World Bank Group's operations and policies. The World Bank Group also offers a Bank Internship Program for graduate students.
  • Australian National Internships Program (ANIP) This program is available to both undergraduate and graduate university students. ANIP provides the opportunity for interns to gain experience through their placements in the Australian (Federal) or the Territory Parliaments, the Australian Public Services, or with non-government organizations (including lobby groups).
  • Boston University International Programs Along with study abroad programs, internship programs are offered. Students participate in academically directed internships and fieldwork in host countries. Interns are linguistically and culturally immersed while learning about their field of interest. Program fees apply.
  • Educational Programs Abroad Internship Program
    EPA works mostly with the U.S. student market and offers unpaid internships in six European centers. Program fees apply.

Other resources for finding work/internships abroad include:

Volunteering Abroad Opportunities

  • The ProWorld Service Corps offers profound 2-26 week cultural, service, and academic experiences (even NGO internships) in Peru, Belize and Mexico.
  • PlanetEdu - A search directory for International Education, including volunteer program listings.
  • Global Service Corps - Provides opportunities for adult volunteers to work on short-term projects in Costa Rica, Thailand and Kenya.
  • Peace Corps - Peace Corps Volunteers work in the following areas: education, youth outreach, and community development; health and HIV/AIDS; agriculture and environment; business development; and information technology.
  • WorldTeach - A nonprofit, non-governmental organization which provides opportunities for individuals to live and work as volunteer teachers in developing countries. This is not a complete list, but will help you get off on the right track. Often the best way to find what you are looking for is to use an online search engine like Google.
  • For more information, or ideas on how to work or volunteer abroad, please contact either the Center for International Education (International House) or the Center for Calling & Career (Bartlett 308).

Please note: The Center for International Education can help you try to find a program that suits your needs. The above list is a partial list of popular options, however this list does not reflect endorsement for these programs over any others by Maryville College.