S3: Scots Science Scholars
The Scots Science Scholars (S3) program provides enrichment and support for select students who are interested in STEM (science, technology, engineering or math) fields at MC. The four-year program includes the following components:
- An all-expenses paid, on-campus, summer bridge program prior to the start of your freshman year designed to give you early practice with lab and math skills that are necessary in STEM fields
- An $1,150 stipend paid directly to you for attending the summer program
- A curriculum designed to build community and provide academic support, including a specialized first-year sequence tailored to appeal to the interests and needs of S3 scholars
- Research/leadership experience that is integrated with the Maryville College core curriculum, including many opportunities to begin research on exciting STEM projects with faculty at MC
- Research opportunities could include Great Smoky Mountains National Park, UTK research labs, and Oak Ridge National Lab
- A scholarship of $20,000 toward MC tuition (this scholarship would replace a student’s MC academic scholarship)
Why STEM Matters
- STEM fields are essential in advancing the vital needs of civilization: water, food, energy, housing, medicine, environmental management, transportation, communication, and defense.
- President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST) projected 1,000,000 fewer STEM graduates than needed by 2018.
- Nationwide, the attrition rate for college students interested in STEM is 40%.
- STEM occupations are projected to grow by 17.0% from 2008 to 2018, compared to 9.8% growth for non-STEM occupations.
- STEM workers earn 26% more than their non-STEM counterparts.
- STEM occupations have lower unemployment rates than non-STEM occupations.
|Dr. Maria Siopsis>
Associate Professor of Mathematics
|Dr. Angelia Gibson
Associate Professor of Chemistry