Located in the new Clayton Center for the Arts, the Maryville College Music Department offers a comprehensive, NASM-accredited music curriculum within the acclaimed Maryville College liberal arts experience. Students will receive expert instruction in music theory, music history, and performance. Our five music majors‚ the Bachelor of Arts in Music, the Bachelor of Music in Music Education (Choral), the Bachelor of Music in Music Education (Instrumental), the Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance, the Bachelor of Music in Theory and Composition‚ provide ample preparation and flexibility for the pursuit of careers involving music or graduate school.
For more information, please contact Ashley Abbott, recruiter for the Fine Arts Division.
Students successfully completing the program of study will have achieved the following:
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in music theory, ethnomusicology, and the history of American and Western fine arts music
- Demonstrate basic proficiency in keyboard, aural skills, improvisation, and use of electronic technology in music
- Demonstrate high-quality performance skills in at least one area of applied music, together with a knowledge of repertory
- Demonstrate high-quality performance skills in ensembles, together with a knowledge of repertory
- Demonstrate specialized knowledge and skills necessary for professional degrees in performance (piano and voice) and music education (vocal/general and instrumental)
- Establish composite knowledge and skills necessary for the pursuit of graduate study and/or a musical career suited to the student\'s talents and desires