Maryville College SAAC Constitution
The mission of the Maryville College Student-Athlete Advisory Committee is to enhance the total student-athlete experience by promoting opportunity, protecting student-athlete welfare, providing a forum for communication between the student-athlete’s and the college administration, as well as, fostering a positive student-athlete image.
Composition of Committee
Any athlete who is on a current team roster and academically eligible for competition is eligible for membership as a representative. Each varsity sport, cheerleaders and student athletic trainers may have two representatives who are either elected by team vote or appointed by the Head Coach.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend all called meetings.
- Report events of each meeting to teammates and bring back input from team to committee
- Serve on at least one sub-committee.
- Attend all SAAC sponsored events.
- Athletic Committee. There will be two elected persons that will sit on the Athletics Committee. These persons will represent the SAAC committee as a whole, not individually. This is an advisory committee to the Vice Pres. of Student Development.
- New Sports & Facilities. The focus of this group is to address issues pertaining to all aspects of athletic facilities and the development of new sports.
- Academics. This group will look at issues involved with the relationship between athletics and academics; and to work on making a cohesive relationship between student-athletes and faculty members.
- NCAA/USA South. The focus of this group will address issues pertaining to the NCAA and/or USA South legislation. Members will represent Maryville College on the respective conference committees. This group will also work with any compliance issues.
- Campus Promotion. This committee will work on increasing awareness of the athletic department on campus and work to improve attendance at home events. Planning of special events will be a part of this committee. This group will work closely with Student Programming and Student Govt. Association.
- Community Outreach. The focus of this group will be to increase community awareness through various activities and service projects.
The advisor of the SAAC will be the Director of Athletics or designated person. Others serving as committee advisors include be not limited to the following persons, FAR, Associate Director of Athletics, Assistant Director of Athletics, SWA, and head coaches.