The Maryville College Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) is made up of student-athlete representatives and is a vehicle to promote communication between the athletic administration and the student-athletes. The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee serves in an advisory capacity to the Director of Athletics, providing a student-athlete voice within the department, discussing issues and concerns, and providing feedback as necessary. The membership of SAAC should be representative of the diversity of the student-athlete population and involve representatives from each sport. Each member serves as a liaison between the committee and his or her team.
The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) is a committee made up of student-athletes assembled to provide insight on the student-athlete experience. The SAAC also offers input on the rules, regulations and policies that affect student-athletes’ lives within NCAA member institution campuses.
Presently there are separate national SAAC groups for NCAA Division I, II, and III. NCAA legislation mandates that all member institutions have these groups on their respective campuses. Further NCAA legislation requires that all member conferences have a SAAC.
Potential Functions of Maryville College SAAC
- Promote communication between athletics administration and student-athletes
- Disseminate information
- Generate a student-athlete voice within the athletic department (Identify issues and potential solutions)
- Build a sense of community within the athletics program among all teams
- Solicit student-athlete responses to proposed conference and NCAA information
- Organize community service efforts
- Create opportunities for student-athlete representation on campus wide communities
- Promote a positive student-athlete image on campus