What is the mailing address for students?

Student Name
MC # Box Number 
502  E. Lamar Alexander Parkway
Maryville, Tennessee  37804

Maryville College has a U.S. Post Office on campus, and all students have locking P.O. Boxes.

What are the advantages of attending a small liberal arts college like Maryville?

As a small college, MC provides personal attention for its students.  Faculty and staff know the students as individuals and can support and challenge each student based on his or her own needs and strengths.  In addition, students can easily engage in many activities, clubs, or organizations, enriching their experience in college, making them well-rounded individuals, and teaching them valuable organizational and leadership skills.

As a liberal arts college, MC provides the key elements for a successful career and a meaningful life.  Employers agree that they look for individuals that can work in teams, analyze complex problems, write and speak clearly, and develop solutions to real world problems.  These are the very skills emphasized by the liberal arts—and here at MC, epitomized by the Senior Study.

Do students need a computer on campus?

This is a difficult question, and the answer often depends on whom you ask!  There are several computer labs available in classroom buildings and the Library, and there are also a few computers available in Bartlett Student Center. 24/7.  However, most MC students will say that they like having their own PC or laptop.   Most campus buildings provide wireless internet access.

Is there ample parking for students on campus?

In a word, yes. However, it may not always be exactly where your student wants to park, which is usually next door to a particular building! If your student complains, remind him that the MC campus is quite small, so a walk from one end to the other takes about 5 minutes.  Also, be aware that parking citations are given to students, faculty, and staff who park in areas not designated for them.  These citations carry with them a $30 fine, more if the person parks illegally in a handicap or fire zone.

Alcohol abuse is a big problem on college campuses. How does Maryville College address this issue?

All freshmen are required to complete an on-line course called AlcoholEdu at the beginning of their college career as part of their Orientation Course. AlcoholEdu is not a values-based course but is, instead, a factual presentation about the effects of blood alcohol content on physical, social, and mental functioning.  Because students take it privately on-line, there are different versions for drinkers and non-drinkers, male and female.  Through the course, students are reminded of the dangers and costs of alcohol abuse, and they are provided with skills to cope with the presence of alcohol and the choices they will have to make.  In addition to AlcoholEdu, policies related to alcohol are strictly enforced on campus, and repeat offenders face suspension from the College.  Substance abuse counseling is also available on campus to students.



What is FERPA and how can I find out my child’s grades?

The Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act is a federal law which protects the privacy of student educational records.  This gives parents certain rights regarding their child’s educational records.  It is important for parents to realize, however, that these rights transfer to the student once he turns eighteen or attends a school beyond high school.  This means that, without written permission from your student, you will probably not have access to his/her academic records – including his grades.  It also means that, without that written permission, faculty members and administrators of the College are legally prohibited from discussing your child’s progress with you.

Our advice is to cultivate an open relationship with your son or daughter so that they will share their academic progress with you.  Grades are available to students online, and they can also file a Grade Authorization Form in the Registrar’s Office each semester if they wish to have their grades mailed home.

My student did well in high school. Why is he/she struggling in college?

Even students who have done exceptionally well in high school find college work challenging. Students spend less time in class and more time in preparation. College professors demand much more, and course material is covered at a faster pace. One of the advantages of a small school like MC is that students can get help from their professors.  There are also numerous support programs in place like tutoring, the Writing Center, and Supplemental Instruction.  But the first step is for the student to speak to the professor, one-on-one.

How large are Maryville College classes?

The faculty/student ratio is 12/1 and the average class size is 20. Some freshman classes are a bit larger while others smaller.  For example, First Year Seminar 120 classes have 15 students while Composition 110 classes and language classes typically have 20 students.  Some other classes have as many as 30 students. Students find that as they progress in their major, the classes become smaller. Maryville prides itself on strong relationships between faculty and students, and our small class sizes support this.

How can a student get help if they're struggling with academics or a certain class?

If a student is struggling in a class, she should schedule an office meeting with the professor. They can discuss academic challenges, note-taking and test-preparation strategies, and tutoring opportunities.

What are the advising and academic support services on campus?

Every student has an academic adviser to guide her or him along the path to graduation and beyond.  These advisors not only assist students in scheduling courses, they mentor their advisees in making career choices and provide networking opportunities for internships and beyond.

The Learning Center brings many services into one office.  Students may find personal tutors, groups help sessions, advice on time-management, tips for studying more effectively, assistance in writing, services related to disabilities—in sum, a supportive environment that either provides a service directly or connects a student to the appropriate place to meet the student’s need.  More information can be found on the Learning Center’s web page:



How many students live on campus?

Approximately three-fourths of our students live on campus, and one-fourth commute from their parents’ homes.

What should students bring for the residence hall room?

Suggested items: mattress cover (beds are extra-long, twin-sized), desk lamp, bed linens, wastebasket, telephone, earphones, iron, airtight food storage containers, and cleaning supplies. Optional items: coffee maker, rice cooker, blender, microwave, hot pot with enclosed heating elements, micro refrigerator, and computer. 

What staff members are available in MC residence halls to assist my student?

Professionally trained residence hall staff members reside in our halls, and they supervise student Resident Advisors (RAs) who are exemplary upperclassmen selected and hired to live with and assist our residents.

Is the meal plan required if a student lives on campus?

Yes, all residential students must purchase a meal plan.  First year students have a 19/week meal plan, but others may choose between a 19, 14, or 10 meals per week.

How much does it cost for residential students to do laundry on campus?

Laundry facilities are available at no additional charge in all residence halls.  Students must provide their own detergent.

What if my son or daughter experiences roommate problems?

If issues cannot be resolved between roommates, the student should contact their Resident Assistant (RA) or their Resident Director (RD). Staff will assist both roommates in resolving problems.

Are there storage facilities on campus so my student can store items over the summer break?

There is very limited storage available in residence halls over the summer.  Students should check with their Resident Directors about availability.  The College is not responsible for any loss or damage to stored items. Staff can also provide students with information about commercial storage availability in Maryville.

Are the residence hall rooms good for studying? Where are good study locations on campus?

Some students study in residence hall rooms while others find them distracting. There are many quiet locations on campus that students learn about once they arrive. One of the most popular locations is the College Library located in Thaw Hall. Also, each residence hall has a study room.  The Living Room in Bartlett Hall is open 24/7 and has comfortable furniture, computers, and a printer.

Are residential students allowed to live on campus during holidays?

Students can remain on campus during Fall Break, Thanksgiving Holiday, Spring Break, and Easter Break with permission and for a $15 per night fee.  However, the residence halls shut down during the Christmas Break, and all residents must make arrangements to stay elsewhere.



Do students need to get a physical at home if they are playing a sport?

Not necessarily.  The team physician provides free physicals to all athletes before the season’s practice begins. Consult the coach or team trainer for more details.

What services are available for students who get sick?

Maryville College provides nursing care at no additional charge to students.  The Student Health Clinic is open 16 hours per week.

Are facilities available so my student can be physically active?

In addition to trails in the College Woods for biking or running, Bartlett Student Center has a Fitness Room with a variety of equipment, the College pool is available to students, and certain athletic facilities are available to non-athletes.  Also, free fitness classes are offered to students and staff throughout the year including water aerobics, Zumba, Boot camp aerobics, and yoga. Last but not least, Mountain Challenge at MC offers a full schedule of outdoor activities for all fitness levels including climbing, canoeing, caving, rafting and so on.  Check the College website for details.




How can I reach my student in case of emergency?

It is important for MC parents to have the Maryville College Security phone number on hand.  It is 865-981-8112, and Security is available 24/7.  If you are unable to reach your student, or if you need emergency assistance, don’t hesitate to call College Security.

Where do visitors park on campus?

Parking lots are clearly labeled throughout campus, and the Fayerweather lot has designated visitor spaces.  You can also contact College Security, 865-981-8112, and pick up a visitor hang tag for your car.

How many hours of off campus work (job) do you recommend?

The answer to this question depends on many factors:  how strong academically is the student?  What is his/her course load?  Are the work hours off campus flexible? (Many classes have required activities and events outside of class.) Is there enough time set aside for studying?

It is a good idea for your student to plot the week’s activities on a schedule that includes time in class, studying (at least two hours for every one hour in class), sleeping, eating, down time, athletics (if applicable), etc.  Are there enough hours left to work off campus?

What is the average need for spending money for students per month?

The answer to this question depends on the spending habits your student brings to college.  Actually, many needs are provided for on campus at no additional charge: food, laundry facilities, clinic services, cable movies, to name a few.  Many students want to go off campus for meals, snacks, movies, entertainment, but they do not have to do so.  We recommend that you and your student discuss and work out a budget on paper early on and amend it as needed during the first year.  And avoid unnecessary expenses like too many drives to Knoxville or too many trips to Taco Bell at midnight!

How can parents and extended family find out about donating to Maryville College?

Maryville College depends on the generosity of its alumni and friends, including parents of current students, and there are giving opportunities at all levels that range from current gifts to estate gifts.  If you would like to donate, contact Marsha Wynn at (865) 981-8204 or via email at